"Torch singing with the sweetness of a May thrush ... "
"You picked some hard songs and
perform them flawlessly. Kate, I thought I would love it
because it’s you, but I love it because it’s good."
A friend remarked, “I bet you sang your kids to sleep at night,” and when I answered “Sure,” she replied, “NO FAIR! There should be lullabies for grown-ups!”
The theme of this collection was decided that moment. Listen for lyrics about the moon, night, dreams. Mostly soft jazz, many of these songs evoke the comfort and familiarity of our parents’ and grandparents’ record collections.
Grown-up — that is, not without heartbreak. Lullabies — as in soothing, gentle.
In the best way, it may be the cure for Grown-up Insomnia. ~ Kate
Vocals: Kate Vikstrom
Piano, Synthesizer: David Rhys-Johnson
Saxophone, Pennywhistle: Fred LaMotte
Accordion: David Lange
- Never Never Land (Jule Styne/Betty Comden, Adolph Green) 3:21
- One Note Samba (Antonio Carlos Jobim) 3:26
- Can’t Help Lovin’ That Man (Jerome Kern/Oscar Hammerstein) 2:46
- Grapefruit Moon (Tom Waits) 3:27
- Nature Boy (Eden Ahbez) 3:16
- The Waters of March (Antonio Carlos Jobim) 4:11
- The July Tree (Irma Jurist/Eve Merriam) 2:48
- When I Look in Your Eyes (Leslie Bricusse) 3:42
- I Have Dreamed (Richard Rogers/Oscar Hammerstein) 3:04
- Marble Halls (Michael William Alfe/Alfred Bunn) 3:13
- Feeling Good (Leslie Bricusse/Anthony Newley) 2:50
- The Nearness of You (Hoagy Carmichael/Ned Washington) 3:45
- I’ll Be Seeing You (Sammy Fain/Irving Kahal) 3:10
- If I Had Words~Moon River~When I Grow Too Old to Dream 4:56
(Charles-Camille Saint-Seans/Jonathan Hodge~Henry Mancini/Johnny Mercer
~Sigmund Romberg/Oscar Hammerstein)
"Kate's voice soars ~ clear and clean ~ into a Never Neverland for grownups like me, who might still love rock & roll, but find the need, more and more, to replenish the soul.
Kate delivers, in silver goblets. I love the artwork, arrangements ~ everything."
"Magically places you in a 1940s Paris nightclub."
"It is stellar and professionally done. And your artwork is exciting!"
"You have a beautiful voice, and such a wide vocal range.
The songs created a sense of mood and place."
Recorded and mixed at David Lange Studios, Edgewood, Washington
Art and design: Kate Vikstrom
Photos: Charles Barrett Photography, Kate Vikstrom
Kate Vikstrom is a vocalist, artist and graphic designer living in Poughkeepsie, New York. One of her artworks appears on the cover of the album. Her music can be heard on Pandora and Last.fm internet radio, and on her YouTube channel (see link at right).
David Rhys-Johnson has been a professional pianist for over thirty years. His repertoire represents a wide range of genres, and includes numerous original compositions. He can be heard on Whisperings Solo Piano Radio. David lives in Olympia, Washington.